Contributed by the Unemployed Workers Union (Melbourne)
On Friday the 2nd of March, the Australian Unemployed Workers’ Union will be hosting its Public Action Forum Against the Welfare Crackdown at Victorian Trades Hall (Cnr Lygon and Victoria Street) 4pm-7pm.
The free event will feature a great line up of speakers and activists fighting the government’s welfare crackdown, including:
- Steve Jolly (Yarra City Councillor)
- Lisa Newman (Community Public Sector Union, Deputy National President)
- Sue Bolton (Moreland City Councillor)
- Father Bob Maguire
- Spike Chiappalone (Homeless Persons Union)
- Lara Watson (First Nations Working Alliance)
- Amanda Smith (The Say No Seven)
- Charmaine Crowe (Australian Council of Social Services, Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer
As part of the event, we will forming Public Action Groups on a range of issues, including:
- Work For the Dole
- Employment Services System
- Community Development Program (CDP)
- Cashless Welfare
Each Action Group will be assisted to create an action plan and schedule regular meetings. Come down and join the struggle against the Government’s ongoing attempts to dismantle our social security system!
The government have made it clear they will continue to attack our social security system. It is up to us to stop them.