The fight for Justice for David Dungay Jr marches on

Contributed from New South Wales

The family, friends and community of David Dungay Jr who died in shocking circumstances inside Long Bay Gaol on 29 December 2015 continue their fight for justice this week, taking it to the streets of Sydney.

The family are demanding:

1. The immediate release of all information that has been suppressed by the government,

2. A date fixed for an Inquest before the Coroner,

3. A full independent investigation into the conduct of the prison officers and medical personnel on the night that David died.

David Dungay Jr was a Dunghutti man from Kempsey and died at age 26. His early life was tough but he was very loved by his close-knit family. He enjoyed schooling, music and was an excellent sportsman.

He was about three weeks away from release on parole at the time of his death. He had entered the adult prison system at age nineteen and had nearly completed a seven-year sentence.
On the night of his death, he was overpowered and restrained by at least four prison officers applying force. David yelled out “I can’t breathe.” They were his last words.

The lawyer for David’s mother, Leetona Dungay, George Newhouse of the National Justice Project today said that all the family wanted was justice.

“They want the truth. That’s all they are asking for. And they have been waiting 18 months so far. It’s hard to believe that in modern Australia and 25 years after the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody, this is still happening.”

Rally to demand answers from Premier Gladys Berejiklian :

Why did David Dungay Jr Die?
Friday 28 July 2017 at 11.30am
Meet at Hyde Park North and March to Parliament House, Macquarie Street, Sydney City.
Raul Bassi (rally organiser) 0403 037 376

Be the first to comment on "The fight for Justice for David Dungay Jr marches on"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.